POSTING DATE: 11/17/22
CLOSING DATE: 12/1/22, 5:00 p.m.
POSITION TYPE: 12-Month, SHRA, FLSA Non-Exempt, Full Time, 1.0 FTE
HIRING SALARY RANGE: $36,734 - $40,815
NCSSM and the Morganton Facilities Management Department foster an environment of collaboration across departments and divisions and support community-engaged service and research. NCSSM is proud of the diversity of its student body and we seek to attract an equally diverse applicant pool for this position. NCSSM is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer, and we are strongly committed to increasing faculty and staff diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran. If you are an individual with disabilities requiring accommodations in the application and interview process, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Description of Duties:
The Facilities Generalist is responsible for the repair, maintenance, improvement and installation of finishes and non-license-requiring systems including, but not limited to: painting, drywall repair/patching, sanding of finishes, carpentry, tile repair, caulking, glazing, masonry, concrete work, light metal work, interior doors, frames, & jambs, and flooring. This position is essential to the school operations and is also responsible for repair, maintenance, improvement and installation of building envelope systems including, but not limited to: roofing, dormers, eaves, gutters, window and glazing systems, metal wall panels, EIFS, cementitious board and panels, exterior doors, frames, and jambs, and coping.
The Facilities Generalist is expected to review the NCSSM-Morganton facilities for any items in need of repair and/or maintenance and will be responsible for both the creation and completion of Work Orders as directed by the Director of Capital Projects and Morganton Facilities Management and the Assistant Director of Morganton Facilities Management.
The Facilities Generalist reports to the Assistant Director of Morganton Facilities Management and is responsible for the supervision of carpenters, painters, maintenance technicians and junior facilities generalists in the NCSSM-Morganton Facilities Management unit as directed by the Director or Assistant Director of Morganton Facilities Management. Along with internal members of the unit, this position is responsible for the supervision of labor provided by external partners and/or vendors which are brought into the NCSSM-Morganton Facilities Management unit as directed by the Director or Assistant Director of Morganton Facilities Management.
This position is considered an essential and mandatory on-site position.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
- Demonstrated ability to respond to Work Order assignments, perform required action and/or provide constructive feedback to supervisor toward the closeout of Work Orders.
- History of positive customer service, including a track record of establishing and maintaining strong relationships with community, faculty, staff, students, and/or vendors.
- Demonstrated ability to perform a variety of broad functions within the context of a residential school setting with a mix of the following: minors present, noise-sensitive program requiring acute focus from students and faculty, sensitive and fragile long-term projects in lab and classroom areas, high stress scholastic programs, music programs, video programs, art programs, and a mix of various individuals from many cultures and backgrounds.
- Understanding of the chain of communication, who to contact and when. Proven ability to communicate sufficient information to keep the supervisor informed.
- Demonstrated ability to work from sketches and penciled drawings as well as blueprints.
- Proven history of planning and assigning work, able to review performance, and able to provide suggestions and give instructions for improving work.
- Familiarity with the use of and safe handling of following tools: fork loading machinery, circular saws, reciprocating saws, drills, rock hammers, rotary hammers, power sanders, pressure washers, valve wrenches, hydrant wrenches, pipe wrenches, concrete finish tools, drain snake/gun, man lift, high-work harness and lanyard, all ladder types, scaffolding, painting tools, paint sprayer, pneumatic nail guns, and pneumatic mechanical tools.
- History of being competent and knowledgeable with regard to the construction, maintenance and repair of a NC State facility. Possess specialized proficiency in carpentry and/or masonry and the work needed to support both carpentry and masonry. Possess near-specialized proficiency in electrical, plumbing, or HVAC trades.
- Possess skills, abilities, and competency needed to work in a commercial facilities environment with a professional history including, but not limited to, high work (from a ladder or lift) requiring a harness and lanyard/lead, work around commercial HVAC equipment, work in the vicinity of low, line, and high voltage systems, work on or around membrane roofing, work in the vicinity of a loading dock, above-ceiling work in both hard and acoustic panelized ceiling systems, and work in areas that contain commercial fire protection systems.
- Has familiar understanding of NC building codes, ADA requirements, OSHA regulations, and understanding of commercial building systems as accepted by the State of NC, NCSSM, and the UNC System.
- Ability to climb ladders or elevated platforms and lift 50 lbs without assistance.
Minimum Education and Experience:
High school diploma or equivalency; or demonstrated possession of the competencies necessary to perform the work.
Team NCSSM Benefits
Free On-campus Parking
Vacation: Varied based on EHRA or SHRA Classification. For SHRA and Faculty, earn from 14 days to 26 days per year based on years of state service (part-time employees are pro-rated). EHRA SAAO Group I, receives 26 days per year and EHRA SAAO Group II/Instructional (IRIT), receives 24 days per year. Leave is earned monthly.
Sick Leave: 12 days per year.
Additional Leave: Family Medical Leave (FMLA), Paid Parental Leave (PPL), Civil Leave, Extended Illness, Short/Long Term Disability, Family Illness Leave, Military Leave, Community Service Leave, Bonus Leave, Voluntary Shared Leave and Leave Without Pay.
Holidays: 12 days per year
Retirement: Required participation for all employees working 3/4 time or more. Option (1) Teachers’ and State Employees’ Retirement System (TSERS) requires 6% of gross salary. Employees are vested for retirement after 5 years. Option (2) The Optional Retirement Program (ORP) requires 6% of gross salary. Employees in ORP are vested after 5 years of participating in ORP. As a participant in either retirement program, you are automatically covered for short-term disability (eligible after 1 year of service/no cost), long term disability (eligible after 5 year of service/no cost). Death benefit of minimum $25,000/maximum $50,000 based on previous 12 month salary (eligible after 1 year of service/no cost).
Supplemental Retirement Plans: Supplemental retirement plans provide an additional opportunity to help you reach your retirement goals. Supplemental Plan offerings such as a 401(k), 403(b), or 457(b) on a Roth (after-tax) or pre-tax contributions from several different vendors.
Health Insurance: Employee only coverage under the State Health Plan (PPO) is provided to employees that work 30 or more hours a week. The cost is determined by the type of coverage elected by the employee. Dependent coverage is available by payroll deduction.
NC Flex Plan: Plan offers Health Care Flexible Spending, Dependent Day Care Flexible Spending, Dental Insurance, Vision Care Plan, Critical Illness, Cancer Insurance, Core Accidental Death & Dismemberment, Voluntary Accidental Death & Dismemberment Insurance, Accident, and Group Term Life. All plans are pre-tax basis / Cost varies depending on selections,
Voluntary Group Term Life Insurance: Securian (This is an after-tax plan and is portable)
Longevity: Payable to SHRA employees after 10 years of creditable state service (EHRA employees are not eligible).
Tuition Waiver: Three courses per academic year tuition free (at any of UNC 17 campuses that offer courses) for permanent full-time employees. Under Educational Assistance, tuition reimbursement may be available for attendance at Community Colleges provided courses taken pertain to current job or upgrades current job skills.
State Employees Credit Union: Membership welcomed. Contact the SECU Credit Union for information.
Community Service: 24 hours leave credited each calendar year (prorated for part-time) unless you choose the Mentoring/ tutoring option – 1 hour each week up to a max of 36 hours that schools are in session as documented by the elected board of the local education agency or the governing authority of any non-public school.
Facilities: Library & Gymnasium - other athletic facilities available at no cost to employees. Cafeteria on site.
North Carolina School of Science and Mathematics (NCSSM) is a world-class public high school with statewide reach empowering academically talented students from diverse backgrounds from every corner of the state to design their own future. We offer residential high school programs in Durham and Morganton for juniors and seniors or virtual high school courses and programs that students can take alongside their local curriculum, all tuition free. Our wide array of summer offerings for rising 5th- through 12th-graders includes free opportunities for in-state students alongside paid options for students from anywhere in the world. NCSSM Extended Learning partners with communities and regions to advance student learning and outcomes.
Specializing in science, technology, engineering, and math, and embracing the fine arts and humanities, NCSSM has become the model for 18 such specialized schools around the globe since its founding in 1980 and is a full constituent of the University of North Carolina System. NCSSM’s Ignite + Transform comprehensive campaign seeks to raise $50 million in private support for our mission.
The new NCSSM-Morganton campus opened in 2022 for summer programs and its first fall academic term. NCSSM-Morganton focuses on the booming fields of data science and artificial intelligence, preparing the leaders of tomorrow to navigate a future driven by data and machine learning, with emphasis on the humanistic implications and ethical use of these tools.
Nearly two-thirds of NCSSM graduates earn a bachelor’s degree in a STEM field -- over three times the national average, including 58 percent of our underrepresented minority graduates, which is nearly four times the national average. Nearly three-quarters have earned or are seeking a graduate degree. A 2020 economic impact study found that 54 percent of our alumni continue to live and work in North Carolina, catalyzing nearly $1.3 billion in annual economic activity. NCSSM embraces equity, diversity, and inclusion, and seeks to recruit employees who share these values.
How to Apply:
Submit electronic application via: http://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/northcarolina/. Please create an account, search for the Facilities Generalist position vacancy, and submit the online application.
Please complete your application in full. All required Competencies, Work History, and Credentials must appear on the application in the Education and Work Experience sections of the application to receive consideration during the selection process. Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of completing the State Application form in its entirety. “See Attached Resume or an Embedded Text Resume” will be considered incomplete and will not be processed. Degrees must be received from appropriately accredited institutions.
Applicants seeking Veteran's Preference must attach a DD form 214, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty, along with the state application. Applicants seeking National Guard Preference must attach a NGB 23A (RPAS) if they are a current member of the NC National Guard in good standing. If applicants are a former member of the NC National Guard who served for at least six years and was discharged under honorable conditions, they must attach either a DD256 or NGB 22 along with their state application.
Final candidates are subject to criminal and sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require a motor vehicle check. If the highest degree is from an institution outside of the U.S., final candidates are required to have their degree equivalency verified at www.wes.org or equivalent service. NCSSM participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.
Please refrain from submitting multiple applications. However, if multiple applications are submitted to a posting, only the most recent application received prior to the posting close date will be accepted. There is a 24 hour waiting period before an applicant can re-apply to a position.
If you have questions, please contact Eric Hunsley at email@example.com.
NCSSM is an EEO/eVerify/VEVRAA Employer