Utility Maintenance Crew Leader
The City of Marion is accepting applications for a Utility Maintenance Crew Leader.
This position performs responsible skilled and semi-skilled work leading a team in the construction, installation, replacement, repair and maintenance of water and/or sewer lines, including all related appurtenances; and/or performs work leading a team in the operation, maintenance, and repair of wastewater pump stations. Work involves using a variety of industry specific equipment and tools to maintain, repair, test, and monitor the water distribution and/or wastewater collection system and/or wastewater pump stations. Work also involves operating a backhoe, excavator, trucks, and other equipment and vehicles in difficult situations. Work is subject to the OSHA rules and regulations regarding confined space entry and blood borne pathogens. Requires performing all work in accordance with applicable environmental regulations and City safety rules. Work is performed under the supervision of the Utility Maintenance Superintendent in conformance with established standards and is periodically evaluated for productivity, quality, safety, and adherence to established standards. This position requires thorough knowledge of and work experience with the methods, practices, tools, equipment and materials used in the installation, operation, maintenance and repair of water distribution and/or wastewater collection systems and/or wastewater pump stations; considerable knowledge of the occupational hazards and proper safety precautions of the work, including confined space entry, proper trenching and proper shoring techniques; considerable knowledge and experience with the repair of broken water and sewer mains (both gravity and under pressure), pipe laying, installing new water and sewer lines and appurtenances, making taps on water and sewer lines; considerable knowledge and experience with the operation, maintenance, and repair of wastewater pump stations; and knowledge of the City’s water and sewer policies and procedures; knowledge of modern AMR system operation and ability to troubleshoot, diagnose, and repair problems with water meters and the AMR system; knowledge of locate and marking requirements prescribed by NC General Statute 87-115; knowledge of proper traffic control and work zone safety in accordance with MUTCD guidelines and laws and regulations pertaining to the operation of motorized vehicles and equipment; ability to read utility line maps and drawings and ability to use locate equipment to locate and mark underground water and sewer utilities in accordance with the requirements of State law; ability to provide guidance, supervision and leadership to a crew of technicians and laborers; ability to communicate effectively in oral and written forms; ability to use independent judgment to solve problems, even in time sensitive emergency situations such as large-scale water or sewer line breaks or pump station failures; ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with supervisors, subordinates, co-workers, and the public; and ability to respond courteously and professionally to the public.
Duties may also include, but are not limited to:
- Performs equipment operation and crew leader duties in the construction, replacement, repair and testing of water lines, the AMR metering system, and related appurtenances; performs water leak detection and diagnosis of problems within the distribution system.
- Performs equipment operation and crew leader duties in the construction, replacement, repair and testing of sewer lines, manholes, and related appurtenances; unstops blockages in City maintained lines; operates sewer camera; performs smoke testing; inspects and cleans manholes; jets lines; and cleans up spills in accordance with all environmental regulations and City guidelines.
- Performs equipment operation and crew leader duties in the operation, inspection, maintenance, and repair of wastewater pump stations. Cleans pump stations and wet wells as needed. Cleans up spills in accordance with all environmental regulations and City guidelines.
- Operates backhoe and other equipment in places that require a high level of skill including around underground and above ground utility lines, in heavy traffic, and in the dark of night.
- Leads and participates in the installation of water and sewer taps; water meters and meter boxes; hydrants, meters and valves; and patching of utility cuts in asphalt and concrete surfaces.
- Connects and disconnects service; locates lines for contractors and other utilities.
- Responds to citizen requests, concerns, and complaints in a professional manner. Investigates claims of water leaks, high usage, blockages, etc., and brings to a timely resolution.
- Supervises inmate laborers following appropriate training and certification by the State.
- Supervises and performs work zone traffic control and flagging and ensures that all work zones and flagging operations are set up in accordance with current MUTCD standards.
- Ensures that all work orders are completed in a timely manner and that work is performed in accordance with established safe work practices and OSHA standards.
- Assists other crews in street maintenance and other activities as needed; assists with snow and/or ice cleanup during and after winter storms.
- Performs related duties as required or requested.
Graduation from high school and considerable experience installing, maintaining and repairing water distribution and/or wastewater collection systems and/or wastewater pump stations along with considerable supervisory experience; or equivalent combination of education and experience. Possession of a valid NC Class A Commercial Driver's License with Tanker Endorsement; possession of appropriate Water Distribution System Operator and/or Collection System Operator and/or Cross Connection Control Certification(s), or ability to obtain within specified time frame; ability to obtain other certifications that may be required by the City.
The City of Marion offers a comprehensive benefit package including employer paid medical, dental, vision and life insurance; enrollment in the Local Government Retirement System; participation in 401k (the City contributes 5% of earnings with no required employee match); thirteen paid holidays; and vacation, sick and wellness leave. Pre-employment drug test, criminal background check, and physical are required. Applications may be obtained at City Hall, 194 N Main Street, Marion, NC, or online at marionnc.org. The City of Marion is an equal opportunity employer.
Click here for more information.