The McDowell County Public Library System is looking for someone who has a passion for developing and promoting library services; is interested in current and emerging technology and its role within the library; and the proven ability to support and supervise staff.
GENERAL POSITION DESCRIPTION:
Directs and coordinates the daily operations of the McDowell County Public Library in Marion, NC. Primary focus of duties include managing circulation policies and workflow, tracking library expenditures, marketing library services, and working with the director on staff development.
ILLUSTRATIVE EXAMPLES OF TASKS AND RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Serves on the Library Management Team, and selects, trains, schedules, directs, and evaluates the duties and performance of selected staff.
- Evaluates and recommends circulation and reference procedures.
- Assists with ongoing staff development and training.
- Assists in the development of the library’s annual operating budget.
- Collects statistics and contributes to monthly reports.
- Assists in developing and implementing effective marketing of library services and resources.
- Manages and coordinates content on the library’s website and social media.
- Participates in collection management, selecting and deselecting library materials.
- Recommends equipment purchases, maintenance, and upgrades.
- Performs reference services, assisting patrons in locating and using library resources.
- Attends professional meetings and seminars to keep abreast of technological advances.
- Responds promptly to complaints and/or compliments
- Performs other duties as needed.
PREFERRED EXPERIENCE, SKILLS, KNOWLEDGE AND ABILITIES:
- Thorough knowledge of library and information science and library organization, administration, and services; demonstrated ability to lead and supervise staff;
- ability to establish and maintain an effective working relationship with the public, staff, community and government officials.
- ability to speak and write effectively;
- Master's Degree in Library Science (MLS).
- Certification by the State Library of North Carolina
- Public library administrative experience.
- Computer skill including Microsoft Office.
- Valid North Carolina driver's license.
Benefited after 90 days
- Medical, dental, and life insurance
- Sick, vacation, and holiday pay
- Membership in the Local Government Retirement System
- 2% contribution for retirement 401k/457
PRE-EMPLOYMENT DRUG SCREENING AND BACKGROUND CHECK IS REQUIRED
APPLICANTS WILL BE GIVEN CREDIT ONLY FOR INFORMATION PROVIDED IN RESPONSE TO THIS ANNOUNCEMENT. No additional information will be solicited by the McDowell County; therefore, persons who submit incomplete applications may not receive full credit for their education, training and experience.
McDowell County is an equal opportunity employer. It is the policy of the County to recruit, hire, train and promote individuals without regard to age, sex, race, color, religion, political affiliation or national origin. The County will interactively work with disabled applicants and employees to identify reasonable accommodations that will allow the individual to perform essential job functions.
McDowell County participates in E-Verify.
Applications are available:
· on our website:
www.mcdowellgov.com- under “Employment Opportunities
· McDowell County Administration Building:
60 East Court St Marion, NC 28752
· McDowell County Administration Annex:
100 Spaulding Rd, Suite #1 Marion, NC 28752
· Employment Security Commission:
316 Baldwin Ave Marion, NC 28752
Applications can be submitted:
· in the locked box at the County Administration building:
60 East Court Street Marion, NC 28752
· in person at the Administration Annex:
100 Spaulding Rd, Suite #1
Marion, NC 28752
· By mail to:
McDowell County Human Resources
60 East Court Street Marion, NC 28752
· By email to:
· By fax to: