Instructor of Mathematics
POSTING DATE: 11/6/2022
CLOSING DATE: Open until filled (priority consideration to applications prior to December 16, 2022)
HIRING SALARY: Commensurate with education and experience
POSITION TYPE: EHRA Faculty, 10-month, 1.0 FTE
EXPECTED HIRE DATE: July 1, 2023
See a full-color position profile here.
The North Carolina School of Science and Mathematics (NCSSM), a public high school serving academically talented students, invites applications for two full-time Instructors of Mathematics at its new campus in Morganton, North Carolina. This recruitment is for two vacancies. Positions are 10-month, permanent-track positions with full benefits through the State of North Carolina.
NCSSM and its Academic Programs division foster an environment of collaboration across departments and divisions and support community-engaged service and research. NCSSM is proud of the diversity of its student body, and we seek to attract an equally diverse applicant pool for this position. NCSSM is an equal opportunity and affirmative action employer, and we are strongly committed to increasing faculty and staff diversity. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, national origin, religion, sex, gender identity or expression, age, sexual orientation, genetic information, status as an individual with a disability, or status as a protected veteran. If you are an individual with disabilities requiring accommodations in the application and interview process, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Description of Duties:
The two positions are full-time, ten-month appointments in the Department of Mathematics at the NCSSM-Morganton campus, with full benefits through the state of North Carolina. The positions report to the Morganton Chair of Mathematics and are responsible for providing instruction for assigned courses.
- Plan and develop an instructional program that helps students assimilate specific course content and skills;
- Develop and communicate to students clear course objectives and goals;
- Participate in discipline and multi-section course meetings;
- Create a syllabus and other required administrative documents;
- Take attendance and enforce the attendance policy;
- Grade and provide feedback to students in a timely manner, and submit grade reports on time with sufficient comments when required;
- Communicate with parents and support team when necessary;
- Hold at least three office hours per week and hold tutorial sessions as outlined by the department;
- Structure and manage an environment conducive to learning;
- Model for students responsibility to self and others;
- Follow the school’s mission, policies, and procedures;
- Engage in both January terms by proposing and teaching approved January Term courses;
- Participate in foundational duties for all faculty including required meetings, academic advising, event participation (at least two Saturdays per year), professional development and outreach, written appraisals/evaluations, and involvement in the NCSSM community;
- Serve on departmental, faculty, and school-wide standing committees;
- Write recommendations for up to 15 students each year, as requested;
- Participate in professional development and personal intellectual growth activities;
- Participate in one or more of the following professional duties:
- Provide information, service, and expertise to other schools and organizations;
- Assist students on special projects, independent and individual study, and seminar-based studies;
- Participate in the admissions process by recruiting, selecting, and advising prospective students;
- Participate in NCSSM alumni activities;
- Provide assistance for school-sponsored programs and extracurricular activities.
Knowledge, Skills, and Abilities:
Competitive candidates will have experience teaching courses in Calculus, Data Science, or other advanced mathematics coursework; experience in using educational technology; commitment to designing new curriculum; and a willingness to participate in residential school programs including social, recreational, and advisory responsibilities at times other than usual school hours.
Minimum Education and Experience:
A Master’s degree in a related field and previous teaching experience in mathematics at the Precalculus level or above required.
Please ensure that you attach a cover letter, CV, and statement of teaching philosophy to the online application before submitting.
North Carolina School of Science and Mathematics (NCSSM) is a world-class public high school with statewide reach empowering academically talented students from diverse backgrounds from every corner of the state to design their own future. We offer residential high school programs in Durham and Morganton for juniors and seniors or virtual high school courses and programs that students can take alongside their local curriculum, all tuition free. Our wide array of summer offerings for rising 5th- through 12th-graders includes free opportunities for in-state students alongside paid options for students from anywhere in the world. NCSSM Extended Learning partners with communities and regions to advance student learning and outcomes.
Specializing in science, technology, engineering, and math, and embracing the fine arts and humanities, NCSSM has become the model for 18 such specialized schools around the globe since its founding in 1980 and is a full constituent of the University of North Carolina System. NCSSM’s Ignite + Transform comprehensive campaign seeks to raise $50 million in private support for our mission.
The new NCSSM-Morganton campus opened in 2022 for summer programs and its first fall academic term. NCSSM-Morganton focuses on the booming fields of data science and artificial intelligence, preparing the leaders of tomorrow to navigate a future driven by data and machine learning, with emphasis on the humanistic implications and ethical use of these tools.
Nearly two-thirds of NCSSM graduates earn a bachelor’s degree in a STEM field -- over three times the national average, including 58 percent of our underrepresented minority graduates, which is nearly four times the national average. Nearly three-quarters have earned or are seeking a graduate degree. A 2020 economic impact study found that 54 percent of our alumni continue to live and work in North Carolina, catalyzing nearly $1.3 billion in annual economic activity. NCSSM embraces equity, diversity, and inclusion, and seeks to recruit employees who share these values.
How to Apply:
Submit electronic application via: http://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/northcarolina/. Please create an account, search for the Instructor of Mathematics position vacancy, and submit the online application.
Please complete your application in full. All required Competencies, Work History, and Credentials must appear on the application in the Education and Work Experience sections of the application to receive consideration during the selection process. Resumes will not be accepted in lieu of completing the State Application form in its entirety. “See Attached Resume or an Embedded Text Resume” will be considered incomplete and will not be processed. Degrees must be received from appropriately accredited institutions.
Applicants seeking Veteran's Preference must attach a DD form 214, Certificate of Release or Discharge from Active Duty, along with the state application. Applicants seeking National Guard Preference must attach a NGB 23A (RPAS) if they are a current member of the NC National Guard in good standing. If applicants are a former member of the NC National Guard who served for at least six years and was discharged under honorable conditions, they must attach either a DD256 or NGB 22 along with their state application.
Final candidates are subject to criminal and sex offender background checks. Some vacancies also require a motor vehicle check. If the highest degree is from an institution outside of the U.S., final candidates are required to have their degree equivalency verified at www.wes.org or equivalent service. NCSSM participates in E-Verify. Federal law requires all employers to verify the identity and employment eligibility of all persons hired to work in the United States.
Please refrain from submitting multiple applications. However, if multiple applications are submitted to a posting, only the most recent application received prior to the posting close date will be accepted. There is a 24 hour waiting period before an applicant can re-apply to a position.
If you have questions, please contact Eric Hunsley, Assistant HR Director, at email@example.com
NCSSM is an EEO/eVerify/VEVRAA Employer